Volunteers are a vital part of the success at Keren Or. The one-on-one activities and attention that volunteers provide brings an enhanced level of enrichment and enjoyment to our students. Volunteers can create an ongoing connection, sometimes spanning many years, and become a stabilizing and confidence-promoting presence in the lives of Keren Or residents.
We welcome volunteers of all ages and backgrounds. There are a variety of volunteer oppurtunities available at Keren Or designed to fit a wide range of interests and schedules. All volunteers are trained and supervised by Keren Or staff in order to become familiar with the unique needs of our children.
Volunteering in New York
The New York office of Keren Or is always in need of volunteers to assist with our on-going fundraising and advocacy efforts. Volunteers can assist with large-scale activities like planning fundraising events or conducting donor outreach, or they can assist with the day-to-day office needs of sending out mailings, performing data entry, or answering phones. Whatever your interest, the New York office welcomes your participation.
Israel's Call For Committed Volunteers
Keren Or works with both individuals and groups that are visiting Israel for an extended period of time or call it home and wish to volunteer at our campus. We have had visitors from all over the world, including the United States, Australia, Holland, France, Russia, and Uruguay. Our staff will coordinate with you or your group to ensure that you make the most of your volunteer time at Keren Or.
Looking For A Greater Committment In Your Community
As a center that caters to children who are blind with additional disabilities, Keren Or consistently and constantly seeks ways to provide our youth with better futures and fuller lives.
Priding ourselves on the personal and individualized care that we provide to each student, skilled and professional staff members help sustain our mission and assist in promoting student advancement across various rehabilitative therapies. However, due to our student’s multiple impairments, we seek the help of additional dedicated volunteers to assist us in maintaining uncompromised care at a one on one level.
We’re calling on you to become a Keren Or volunteer and take part in this rewarding activity.
How can you help?
- Reading stories aloud
- Training how to ride a bike and pedal-jeep
- Take walks with the pupils in the school grounds
- Play games in our activity rooms, such as the jamboree, Snoezelen (sensory room), and more
- Play with the children using devices such as computers, tablets, etc
- Sing and / or play music if you know how to play an instrument, and / or play discs
- Accompany children to activities such as art, nature, petting corner, etc
- Accompany children who use motorized wheelchairs
- Help with feeding at meal and snack times
- Help older students with personal grooming, such as brushing and arranging hair, nail polish, creams, shaving
- And many more activities where help would be so valuable
Here are other was of helping without working directly with the students.
- Prepare illustrated stories
- Prepare suitably adapted games
- Organize the clothing storage, games and toys cupboards
- Prepare communication symbols
- Decorate classrooms and corridors
- Build / fix various assistive accessories
- And many more options that we’ll guide you on, depending on your skills and time
Keren Or also holds events and outings where your help would be truly appreciated.
All Keren Or volunteers receive mentoring from our professional staff.
Keren Or – contact us, come and visit, and join the team!